[lbo-talk] Maximise or satisfice? (was:stupid americans?

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Sep 29 06:16:13 PDT 2004

Chris Doss:

> handle" idea.) Something like only 1% of patents ever
> earn a profit. (If I rember aright, the two top
> grossers have been the telephone and the zipper.)

US spends huge sums on military related research and results thereof are subsequently used for civilian purposes. The question is whether the US would not be able to maintain the technological leadership over other countries in the long term by adapting its defense technology for civilian uses. If other countries can not compete with the US in defense research, they may not be able to compete ultimately even in civilian technolgy.

Ulhas