[lbo-talk] anti-Suburban snobs, was petro-thusians

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Thu Sep 30 07:42:50 PDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 at 10:51pm John Thornton wrote:

> Don't be too thankful yet. What do you think agribusiness
> does with that water? You think Allen Andreas takes a bath
> every hour in a huge tub to waste water or perhaps it's
> used it to grow things that people consume?

Maybe they could grow the stuff in more appropriate climates? For instance, when I learned a couple of years ago that they grow cotton in California with water diverted from the Colorado river to what was basically a desert before the diversion, I said WTF? Is there really no other place to grow cotton in the US? (rhetorical, i went to college amongst cotton fields in central ala...) but the water is so artificially cheap to the growers, they have no incentive to not do it.

-- no Onan

Truth is the most valuable thing we have - so let us economize it.

-- Mark Twain