[lbo-talk] World Bank to work with China to cut poverty: Wolfowitz

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Apr 1 08:11:08 PST 2005

People's Daily Online

Business

April 01, 2005

World Bank to work with China to cut poverty: Wolfowitz

Paul Wolfowitz, the new president of the World Bank, said Friday that the bank was ready to work with China in fighting poverty.

In an interview with BBC radio after his appointment, Wolfowitz said poverty reduction would be the "primary mission" of the bank under his leadership. "The goal of poverty reduction is as valid in China as it is elsewhere," he said.

"The economic development of China is a positive development ...and something that the United States and the world should welcome and work with," he added.

Wolfowitz, former US deputy defense secretary, was confirmed as the new head of the World Bank on Thursday after winning crucial European support.

His nomination had proved controversial due to his role in the Iraq War and lack of development experience.

"I am prepared to listen and prepared to be an international civil servant," he said. "I am quite capable of focusing on the mission of the organization I'm working in."

Wolfowitz, 61, will take office as president of the World Bank on June 1.

Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved