[lbo-talk] The Waste Land by Wendy Cope

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 1 08:55:50 PST 2005

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/859.html

Waste Land Limericks

In April one seldom feels cheerful; Dry stones, sun and dust make me fearful; Clairvoyantes distress me, Commuters depress me-- Met Stetson and gave him an earful.

II

She sat on a mighty fine chair, Sparks flew as she tidied her hair; She asks many questions, I make few suggestions-- Bad as Albert and Lil--what a pair!

III

The Thames runs, bones rattle, rats creep; Tiresias fancies a peep-- A typist is laid, A record is played-- Wei la la. After this it gets deep.

IV

A Phoenician named Phlebas forgot About birds and his business--the lot, Which is no surprise, Since he'd met his demise And been left in the ocean to rot.

No water. Dry rocks and dry throats, Then thunder, a shower of quotes
>From the Sanskrit and Dante.
Da. Damyata. Shantih. I hope you'll make sense of the notes.

-- Wendy Cope