[lbo-talk] new Marta piece & review of Liza's Wal-Mart book

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 1 12:19:43 PST 2005

John Mage wrote:

>The leader
>also has a chart on the question - one we were discussing here - of
>whether the Baran and Sweezy 60s prediction that the growth of US
>capitalism would start slowing down has proven to be correct
><http://www.monthlyreview.org/0405editorc1.pdf>

Like I said the other day, it all depends on your choice of base year. Growth in the 1960s was well above average, and some reversion to the mean could be expected. If this chart had started in the 1950s, it would have shown an acceleration. If it started in the 1870s, like this one I just manufactured <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/GDPByDec.gif>, then it would show almost no trend one way or the other, except towards more stability.

Doug