[lbo-talk] Linux, was New Imperialism? Imperialism has been monopoly

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sat Apr 2 15:25:15 PST 2005

Michael Perelman wrote:
> I use specialized programs and drivers that were written for Windows. I would be
> happy to switch to Linux if I could still run them without too much trouble.

IMHO, linux as a desktop OS is at best a hobby/toy, and at worst an exercise in masochism (i write this with no disrespect to the fine minds at GNU and the rest of the open source community). nonetheless, as always, i offer help to anyone who wants to give it a shot (i draw the line at debugging GRUB boot issues). for those with other worthwhile to occupy their time, there is always XP - IE (usage) + mozilla + don't click on everything you see + XP built-in firewall or zonealarm + a NAT box (such as used by your WiFi or other access point/hub, often mislabelled a "router"). for the idle rich, there is always the apple ;-).

don't even get me started on linux as an enterprise desktop OS!! ;-)

--ravi