[lbo-talk] Unisys to up India headcount to 4,500

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sun Apr 3 12:01:22 PDT 2005

Indiatimes

Infotech

Unisys to up India headcount to 4,500

PTI TUESDAY, MARCH 29, 2005

BANGALORE: American IT services and product firm Unisys Corporation plans to ramp up its India workforce, including with its partners, to 4,500 by 2008, up from the existing 1,150 professionals, Unisys officials said on Monday.

"Unisys has sourced globally for more than 25 years. Our current expansion in India is an extension of this strategy and is integral to growing our global capabilities," Unisys Chairman Lawrence A Weinbach said at the launch of its 1,000 seat new building in the city.

Unisys outsources software work with four Indian partners - Hexaware, Caritor, NIIT and Tata Infotech - who jointly employ about 1,000 people.

"The partners will add 1,000 more people while we will hire 1,000 more people in 2005," Unisys India Managing Director Mukul Agrawal said.

He said Unisys has a roadmap to reach a strength of 4,500 people by 2008, which includes 2,500 people at its captive centre.

"India offers lower cost of operations and there is a demand from our clients to move work to offshore locations," Unisys global sourcing Vice President, Cal Killen said.

Unisys last April said it would invest $180 million(Rs 810 crore) in India till 2008 and it has spent $10 million on the new facility, officials said.

Unisys India will provide end-to-end IT services for its global customers, besides technical help desk support, BPO and IT sourcing.

Copyright © 2005 Times Internet Limited.