[lbo-talk] Inconvenient facts

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Apr 3 12:07:21 PDT 2005

Doug wrote:

> Let me be clear about this. I think what you're doing stinks. I think
> you're the very definition of an opportunist.

I can't disagree. Brown's opporunistic timing was lamentable.

> I'm very focused on what I think is the major issue - the defense of
academic and intellectual freedom.

Including the freedom to be a shoddy scholar so long as you line up on the right side? As Brown noted, scholarly freedom properly understood has already won out in this particular case.

> Secondarily, they'd like to discredit the case for US genocide against
Indians, which is certainly, along with slavery, a
> great foundational crime of this country. You're making that easier for
them too. So I don't give a fuck about whether the story > of a particular blanket is true or not.

Other people do care. We call them "scholars."

Michael Pugliese once (perhaps unfairly) blasted Furuhashi and Cox for their supposedly instrumental view of the importance of getting things right. Your response is a parodic application of that view.

-- Luke