[lbo-talk] Inconvenient facts

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Sun Apr 3 12:50:47 PDT 2005

Doug argued
>> I'm very focused on what I think is the major issue - the defense of
> academic and intellectual freedom.

Luke replies
> Including the freedom to be a shoddy scholar so long as you line up on the
> right side? As Brown noted, scholarly freedom properly understood has
> already won out in this particular case.

No no no. One has the "right" to be a "shoddy" scholar no matter what side you are on. It falls to scholars (or anyone else for that matter) on any side to point out the shoddiness of a scholar's work. There are a host of mechanisms built in to the academic process to deal with shoddy scholarship. But for good reasons all of these mechanisms fall short of (except in the most egregious of cases) dismissal from the profession. If you need me to enumerate these reasons then I will in another post, but I suspect if you spend 10 minutes you could think of the reasons for yourself.

Travis