[lbo-talk] For Carl R. & Wojtek

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:43:12 PDT 2005

>From: snitsnat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com>
>
>... I just don't encounter rude people -- not face-to-face at any rate. Is
>it the South? ...

Hmm, if we're going to try to find consistency in Southern modes of deportment, we're going to be at it a very, very long time.

Yesterday's NY Times had a review of a book that tries to make sense of the South's lunatic infatuation with the rebel flag, i.e., _The Confederate Battle Flag: America's Most Embattled Emblem_ by John M. Coski. The reviewer said, "It takes more magic than is attempted by this academic study to conjure a region that balances so many polar extremes -- generous hospitality and casual violence, rebellious individualism and docile conformity, scrappy sectionalism and hyperpatriotism, military discipline and warrior impulsivity, redneck pride and genteel modesty -- all under a flag claimed equally by the Ku Klux Klan and the liberators of Soviet-bloc Europe." <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/books/review/03MCWHORT.html?position=&pagewanted=print&position=>

And all of that with a double serving of Jesus on the side. It would be funny if it wasn't so ... unfunny.

Carl