[lbo-talk] Monopoly power and prices

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Apr 6 18:11:01 PDT 2005

Doug wrote:

> How are they coordinated? Crude prices are set on spot and futures
markets. They do restrict refinery capacity to keep
> supplies tight, but that's not the major determinant of prices.
>
> Doug

Perhaps I'm wrong (I'll admit I haven't done my reading on this subject), but I thought the spike in gas prices over the last six years (during the fall of my senior of high school, I could buy a gallon of unleaded for less than a dollar) was almost entirely a result of OPEC's actions (OPEC is an oligopoly of sorts, right?) and restriction of refinery capacity.

-- Luke