[lbo-talk] Delong puts the smackdown on ol' Whiskers

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 18:43:16 PDT 2005

Value theory was the dominant paradigm of 18th and 19th century political economy. Up through Marx and perhaps for half a generation after there was a lot of progress made in understanding capitalist economies using versions of the LTOV and the LV. However, not since. Roughly since the transformation problem, valkue theorists have been trying to dig their way out of their own contradictions, while non LV economists in the tradition of Walras, Marshall, Jevons, and indeed Veblen, Keynes, and Hayek, not to mention Coase and Williamson, have been doing the interesting work. I can't think of a single contribution made by a value theorist in this century. The contribution of the neo-Ricardans has been to show that value theory is a fifth wheel. Sorry, cholly, but your pet theory is a dead dog.