[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 7 07:02:30 PDT 2005

Marta posted a link to:
> After seeing the "conversation" video, nobody will ever convince me that
> Terri was in a vegetative state.

Has it ever occur to you that it could have easily been a hoax? It is really easy to forge a poor quality footage shown on the net.

I think it is an interesting case of the manufacturing of martyrdom. A group of ignoramuses who feel being taken advantage of by more knowledgeable fellows "discover" their hero whose main claim to fame is challenging the intellectual authority figures (cf. the Jesus character). The hero is gotten rid of, and then a whole bunch of reason-defying 'evidence' miraculously appear - stones that move by themselves, blood appearing on people's hands, dead men coming back to life, or a clinically diagnosed brain-dead person "recalling" facts from memory.

What is next? Terry Schiavo's blood that does not coagulate while kept in a Turkey-made perfume container? Or cuts from Terry Schiavo's feeding tube that, when put together, can make a garden hose? Or hospice bed linen with an impression of Terry Schiavo's back on it? Be real.

Wojtek