[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 6 22:13:45 PDT 2005

Presuming she was aware of her surroundings, on what basis do you have it that she want(ed) to live?

Remember Sue Rodriguez and many others who have been forced to die by suffocation or other horrible deaths by the "Right-To-Life-Imprisonment in a shell" crowd? They died by strangulation, choking on their own tongues, rather than death by passing peacefully away with medication. The very same crowd that denied them the right to die as they saw fit is exactly the same crowd who sentenced Terri to death by starvation. No right to die as you yourself see fit. Your own life, stolen. No peaceful end for you should you desire it.

And it is at the hands of the very same names that have pulled your heartstrings, convincing you with no justification whatsoever that she wants to continue on with the miserable existence that such a life would surely be. Most others in such situations do not want it. Why are you so convinced that she does?

And about Micheal motivations. The "must die horribly crowds" telling of

events certainly doesn't match the facts, to wit:

The man returned to school to become a nurse after his wife's initial injury, when both were 26 years old.

He rented a house that would accommodate him, Terri and her parents; he and her parents continued to live under the same roof until the successful malpractice suit ($700,000 for Terri's care and $300,000 for Michael). According to his attorney, he has been offered up to $10 million to relinquish his guardianship to Terri's parents.

The woman he lives with, Jodi Centonze, washes Terri's laundry. He calls the hospice daily; he visits Terri several times each week. His life, as the reporter notes, would have been much easier if he had walked away, handing over his guardianship to her parents. It appears he took seriously "... til death do us part."

Some would call this behavior "dedicated" and "loyal" -- and the reporter quotes friends who use those terms. The picture here is a stark contrast to the "money-grubbing" opportunist painted by those who side with the Schindlers, Terri's parents.

When you have nothing else, impugn the motives -- a classic technique used to deflect attention from facts or evidence. The case, as many lawyers point out -- in their often dry, lawyerly manner -- is not a personality contest. The question is this: have the courts followed Florida law and provided appropriate due process in this case? Procedural law doesn't stir emotion, however, except, perhaps, among lawyers. And it certainly doesn't make for great TV -- whether on the 6 o'clock news or in a political campaign commercial.

http://uspolitics.about.com/b/a/156366.htm --

Gary Williams

http://mycos.blogspot.com/