[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Apr 8 11:27:29 PDT 2005

On 04/08/05 13:19, Marta Russell wrote:
>> Doug wrote:
>> And in case people didn't follow that link here's what it says:
>>

> And it also said:
>
> "Schiavo's husband, Michael, who wanted to withhold tube feeding after a
> few years of unsuccessful therapy, had the legal advantage early on. A
> malpractice verdict gave him $300,000 and her $700,000, and he was
> guardian of her money. The Schindlers, people of modest means, had only
> recently paid off a federal tax lien on their Gulfport condominium.
>
> Michael Schiavo, as guardian, could pay attorney George Felos more than
> $350,000 from Terri's trust fund because the court agreed he was doing
> it for her benefit.
>
> St. Petersburg attorney Pam Campbell represented the Schindlers for free
> and couldn't afford to take many depositions or hire expert medical
> witnesses, she said last week."

true, which is especially why i forwarded the second link which breaks down the money. but it seems that michael schiavo spent $350,000 and the schindler's attorney received at least $300,000 from right-wing organizations. which puts them pretty even. that seems to negate your opinion that the schindlers were at a disadvantage during the lawsuits.

> I have a daughter and if she were in the position of Terri and she was
> communicative with me I would take money from wherever I could get it to
> save her life.

sure, but if you got the money, you cannot say that you did not have money to match your daughter's husband. true?

> I'll wager that most people on this list that criticize what the
> Schindlers did don't have children.

just had a baby in december. while i can understand a part of the schindler's passion, in my current state of mind, i will not do many of the things they did.

--ravi