[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Apr 8 13:18:50 PDT 2005

Kelley:
> Question: I think it's time to analyze the "right to (innocent) life"
trope
> for the fascist crap that it is. Anyone want to take a stab at it. Woj?

I said something about it in one of my previous postings (see below).

PS I also have children, and I would like to think that I would able to let them go in similar circumstances. I have a similar agreement with my wife. But honestly I do not really know what I would do if I found myself in this situation. I do not even know if I would not accept right wing money if I was convinced that someone is trying to kill my loved one and they offered to help. I am generally a rational person - even when I get carried away I can be persuaded by a rational argument - so that is my hope. Like in the "Beautiful Mind" story - the protagonist could not stop "seeing" things that were not there, but he could use the power of his reason to convince himself that what he was "seeing" was not real.

Now the promised excerpt from my earlier posting on "suffering innocence."

I think it is an embodiment of a central conservative/fascist myth of suffering innocence - the "sacrificial lamb" of christianity if you will. It is quite apparent when you juxtapose the characters with which these creeps emphasize with those whom they eagerly condemn to fiery death in hell.

Creatures worth conservative empathy: Unborn fetuses, brain dead patients, innocent victims i.e. people victimized by strangers while performing conventional roles (parents, shoppers, drivers, passersby), religious adherents persecuted for their beliefs (the so-called martyrs)

Creatures deserving fiery death in hell: Unwed mothers, people in unconventional social roles (intellectuals, homosexuals, cross-dressers, unbelievers, etc.), aliens of various sorts (immigrants, foreigners, people with different customs or just looking differently).

The myth of suffering innocence is the fundament of the essential feature of a conservative/fascist mindset: outgroup aggression. It is a persistent feature found in sympathizers of various right wing causes. In a conservative/fascist mindset, however, such a knee-jerk outgroup aggression is merely a defence against threats and injustices directed at them by the outside world. The myth of suffering innocence reinforces the feeling of victimization in these creeps and legitimizes their aggressive behavior.

In a nutshell, conservatism is not a rational ideology but a mental disorder (akin to paranoia) that combines mental rigidity, difficulties to deal with changes and uncertainty, and fear of the unknown with ritualized aggression (i.e. aggression directed at conventionally anointed scapegoats). People affected by this mental disorder seldom have a rational political philosophy of any kind - rather they adopt a hodgepodge of stories, myths, beliefs, news and causes that fit right into and reinforce their psychotic mind set. Hence the apparent contradiction between their support of fetuses or brain dead human vegetables on the one hand, and death penalty, harsh punishment, wars of aggression on the other.

Wojtek