[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Apr 8 12:57:15 PDT 2005

At 01:45 PM 4/8/2005, John Adams wrote:
>On Apr 8, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Marta Russell wrote:
>
>>I'll wager that most people on this list that criticize what the
>>Schindlers did don't have children.
>
>Kelly? Time for another poll?
>
> John A

Question: I think it's time to analyze the "right to (innocent) life" trope for the fascist crap that it is. Anyone want to take a stab at it. Woj? It's a very interesting issue -- because it has so much in common with the theme of racial purity, only in this instnce the issue is the "innocence of life." More religious nonsense: life is innocent and pure -- except of course if you're responsible for effing it up, like being poor or homeless or unemployed. Your life ain't innocent and pure because, if you were a good, decent person, you wouldn't be homeless, poor, or unemployed.

WARNING: I was up for 24 hrs. straight. Just got up. I haven't not finished my first cuppa joe. (need beta testers for a Web site if anyone's interested. ping me offlist.)

Anyway, the poll would be a tough one. Me? I saw the video and I wasn't impressed. For one, there are 11 videos. 9 were released just before Terri Schiavo died. I have no idea when that video was taken and if it's among the videos that were taken by physicians who examined her in 2002. It's the height of silliness to base your opinion on one video. Not because it might be fake but because most people haven't a My BIL had a brain tumor and spent many years in verious institutions where they specialized in head injuries, etc. etc. This is what people in a PSV state do. But those reactions aren't communication, they happen when people aren't even in the room.

IF my son were in that state, no I wouldn't take money from the Scaife foundation or hook up with Terry Randall. I did abortion clinic defense work for christ sake! I wouldn't take it because I wouldn't think my son was communicative in the first place. You know, it's funny, but the whole case for the Schindler's rests on their belief that she can recover and achieve a better life. IOW, they are really no different than others. They, too, think that Terri's life in a PSV isn't good enough, they just hold out hope for recovery.

If my family tried to do what they've done to their daughter, it would be the one time in my life I'd hope there's an afterlife so I could come back and give 'em hell. Alas, I know they wouldn't. We've all seen far too many long-term illnesses, spent far too much time in hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, and caring for them at home to ever want anyone to have to sacrifice their life on the extraordinarily minor possibility we might survive and recuperate enough and yet still require intensive treatment.

As for the Schindler's caring for their daughter, appaently they visited their daughter far less than her husband did.

ANyway, the poll would be difficult. I'd have to stipulate all kinds of conditions, methinks. IOW, maybe people would take money from Scaife under conditions where recovery was a real possibility or a kid needed an organ transplant or treatment for cancer, but they wouldn't take money if they believed their kid was in a PSV.

If someone with a more alert brain than I wants to take a stabl at the q's, I'll put 'em up.

Oh, and John, tell JF that I've been meaning to get back to her note to a list for freelancers. Just been buried with the site redesign.

need. more. coffee.

NOW.

"This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are not to be considered flaws or defects."