[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Fri Apr 8 21:26:57 PDT 2005

Dude, read the actual reports. The state of Florida actually went so far as to appoint a non-familial person as GAL. That's a shocking intervention by the state, and a naked indulgence of Jeb Bush. The guy was an M.D. who opened his inquiry presuming his task was legit: trying to keep the state from sanctioning from snuffing somebody for no reason. He found that, if you fed Terri by mouth (even assuming she could swallow, which 3 tests showed was not true), she would likely die from self-aspiration due to her inability to really, truly chew and swallow. Read the report. If you think I'm lying about this, let's hear why. Meanwhile, Marta Russell does not care about the medical findings. She the Girl Who Cried Wolf: They're trying to bump us all off! Bullshit. This society needs to progress, but overall attitudes to the disabled are far from barbarous. The problem is almost entirely economic (the rich don't want to pay). Ordinary people are very nice about this.