[lbo-talk] Feedback

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 10 03:17:19 PDT 2005

--- joanna bujes <jbujes at covad.net> wrote:
> I don't mind it and would prefer that you don't stop
> -- but there is a
> sameness about the reports: banditry, slavery,
> criminality, ....

That's what Chechnya is all about!

> You once suggested there is some connection between
> this and
> kinship-based societies...but I wonder....

My theory (cribbed from Rob Ware) is that Chechnya crashed and burned so hard and so fast in the days of independence (de facto) is that Chechnya was unable to develop a centralized political system due to its division into kinship social groups each working for "their own" (and killing each other) rather than uniting. With Wahhabism serving as a desparate attempt to provide a unifying ideology and impose order via shariat. Similar to what happened in Afghanistan and Tajikistan. I could be wrong of course.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!