[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Apr 10 10:20:23 PDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Michael Dawson wrote:
>>
>>> Marta, you've been profoundly dishonest on this whole thread
>>
>> Can you stop insulting Marta and everyone else you disagree with, or
>> is it a compulsion for you?
>
> Usually it works simply not to read Dawson's endless stream of bile, but
> this time it seriously fucked up discussion of the issue. How could
> Marta respond to those of us who tried to keep our disagreement
> principled when the atmosphere was being poisoned by the likes of
> Dawson? His attacks on Marta are pure slime.
>
> Carrol

I agree that MD's contributions have generated more heat than light in this thread, but he's not the major obstacle here. This thread reminds me exactly of heated class discussions about abortion: people have strongly held moral/religious/political views, and they talk past each other. No actual discussion. I think I understand Marta's view now, with the help of John A, and I'm certain that nothing anyone could say will cause Marta to change her mind, just as her argument will not alter my deeply held belief in the usefulness and validity of scientific knowledge (e.g., CAT scans of a brain as analyzed by impartial, experienced medical experts).

As Doug said some time ago, we've said what we have to say about Schiavo; let it rest. In any case, I promise to shut up about this.

Miles