[lbo-talk] Andrea Dworkin dead

Stannard67 at aol.com Stannard67 at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 05:54:03 PDT 2005

Yep, she's no Mary Daly, not even a Sonia Johnson. Probably not even a Catherine McKinnon, and certainly not an Angela Davis.

At the end of the day, Andrea Dworkin was never so much a radical feminist as she was a champion of law-and-order policies, with a strong dash of vigilantism. She displayed, to my knowledge, little understanding of deeper critical arguments about how reliance on the law cut against some of her own projects and values. For all the radicalism others associated with her, she basically saw "law" as class-neutral. Her last piece of public writing was an unreflective editorial in support of the death penalty for Scott Peterson, and that editorial contained a rather explicit endorsement of the death penalty in general as a tool to use against the "monsters" of society. It really surprises me that conservatives hate her so much; she's really one of them and nearly always has been.

mjs The age of outrage has been reasoned into submission. And cries for peace are no longer in fashion. -Napalm Death, "Armegeddon X 7" -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050412/56b0a729/attachment.htm>