[lbo-talk] Exploitation

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 21:22:39 PDT 2005

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Sisyphus wrote:
> >

> > "Natural selection does not care whether a brain
> has or tends towards
> > true beliefs, so long as the organism reliably
> exhibits reproductively
> > advantageous behavior.........

No doubt, but treue beliefsa re likely to keep you from falling off cliffs and walking into walls.

The notion of truth
> is suspect on purely
> > metaphysical grounds, anyway. It suggests
> straightaway the notion of
> > The Complete and Final True Theory: at a minimum,
> the infinite set of
> > all true sentences...But *nothing* whatever
> guurantees the existence
> > of such a unique theory......" [Paul Churchland]

I don't understand this. All the truth is in the world must be consistent, ergo, there is a a final total true story of everything. We;ll never know it, but there is no reason do doubt tha it exists and on the contrary there is reason to believe that it exists. All the truths we know are part of it.

You can get too crazy about Trutyh: to say some sentence is true is just to say that its truth conditions are satisfied (that for any sentence "p" p is true id and only if p), it's not a big deal. Important, but not mystical. We certainly don't want to go around saying p amd -p, that leads to contradictions.

> Which is why it is sad that red-baiting succeeded in
> making a mockery of
> the adjective "correct." It was a way of debating
> the acceptability of a
> proposition without falling into the metaphysics of
> Truth.
>
> Carrol

???