[lbo-talk] more AD

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 13 16:15:00 PDT 2005

At 05:49 PM 4/13/2005, Catherine Driscoll wrote:
>Something that interests me reading this thread on Dworkin's death is the
>place
>she has on the outside of contemporary feminist politics. Now it may be
>because
>I am not American, so I'd be happy to hear others' opinions on this, but the
>only way contemporary Australian feminists refer to Dworkin in my
>experience is
>as an historical footnote. Mackinnon is perhaps a longer footnote about the
>residue of a certain kind of feminist polemic, but the only people I've heard
>refer to Dworkin in any other way in like forever are people opposed to
>feminism.

puzzles me that your son would find that. I can't think of anyone, Cat, who admires her, takes up research inspired by reading her, or, heck, who has even read her. Dworkin was always anathema.

The only quotes I've ever seen hurled are by those who are anti-feminists openly, or leftist men who'd like to be but hide it by trotting out Dworkin or MacKinnon or some other nearly wretched person.

Ahh, but no time for anything of this. Hope other feminists on the list will pipe up and maybe ask around. Like Catherine, I think AD holds more of a place outside feminism than in it.

kelley

p.s could tell wonderful tales to john a. about digging around in a mentor's, uh, filing cabinets and closets, pulling out the old mimeographs, handwritten notes,leaflets, newsletters, etc. etc -- documentary history -- where much early feminist writing was 'published' since no serious press would even think of it at the time.

Swill Squeal!

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling