[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 14 07:54:48 PDT 2005

joanna bujes wrote:

> This is an interesting fund; acid test of whether money is the most
> important thing for any would be investor.

I have no money to "invest," but if I did have, and excluding companies against which there is an organized boycott, I would not consider any factors other than safety and return.

I don't object if others base consumption on some sort of moral grounds -- probably they enjoy doing that and should not be mocked for having their private pleasures. But I refuse to mix politics with my private consumption (except in the case of organized boycotts, strike pickets, etc.). No more objection to cigarettes than any other commodity in capitalist society.

Carrol