[lbo-talk] Peak Oil or Oil Bubble?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 14 08:58:05 PDT 2005

Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Public transit is not a "solution" to this issue. It's going to take
> something radical to change the current equation, and if the recent
> history is any guide, public transit is a slow, expensive way to try
> (usually unsuccessfully!) to change behavior. I'm all for more and
> better public transit, but you're sticking your head in the sand if you
> think that's what $5/gal gas is going to do.

I think you really have t change development patterns and move towards denser neighborhoods which have a mixtures of uses.

I lived without a car for 15 years, depending on public transportation, mostly in Washington, DC. I now live in the suburbs of Kansas City where you have to own a car.

I prefer having a car to having to waste hours of my life waiting in dim subway stations for infrequent trains.

The Metro system in Washington, DC is absolutely horrible if you are a working person trying to live your life. It only really works for suburban commuters and stupid tourists.

Chuck