[lbo-talk]Peak oil and Why can't you guys learn to quote andattribute properly?

tully tully at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 14 10:34:59 PDT 2005

I doubt that cars/commuting vs. public transit will be the initial problem as the price of fossil fuel rises. My prediction is that the trucking industry will suffer the first serious consequences. We may see owner-operator trucking fail first, which may be enough on its own to start a snowballing catastrophe as food becomes scarcer in the cities, and its price beyond reach.

Even if this is somehow avoided or subsidized, the prices of everything must climb. Nothing can avoid being affected as we are so completely dependent on fossil fuel with our current infrastructure.
>From the fuel in the farmer's combine and the chemicals used to farm,
to the raw material or recycled material production, manufacturing, distribution, shipping, store and work outlets, all depend on fossil fuel to function. Each link in the chain has the effect of rising fuel price multipying its factors as the product chain makes its way thru these processes out to the consumer. One of the last links in that chain is shipping, and I think it is currently the weakest link and potentially the most dangerous if it fails.

--tully