[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Thu Apr 14 10:46:12 PDT 2005

OK on the investment side, but how about Carrol's unconcern with product (a.k.a. "consumption") politics? Cigarettes don't bother him any more than MP3 players, he says. That must mean cars are as good as bikes. Fox News as good as Mike Leigh movies. Suburban McMansions as lovely medium-scale green condos. Etc. etc...

Will we ever change capitalism if we confine ourselves to Cox's hidebound productionism? No way. We need to talk about class power, class coercion, and democractic choice _wherever_ it is at issue in actual human activities. Because of ecology, "consumption" is likely to become the next site of upheaval. Will we cede that field to the bourgeoisie, because Karl Marx didn't talk much about it 150 years ago?