[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sat Apr 16 17:15:17 PDT 2005

>>Tully, I say this with less malice than it might convey: "Scratch a
>>hippie, find a Republican."

>A REPUBLICAN??! Damn, what a kick to the teeth! ;) Are you basing this
>on what you know of the anarchists in Eugene? If not, what are you basing
>this on?

You answer yourself:

> Seriously, the reason I'm leaning that way is because I no longer
> think gov't can help us as it is too corrupt. So I'm no "big gov't"
> fan. The Republicans used to say they didn't want big gov't either.
> But the Republicans lied.

And your apparent inability to think from outside your own shoes (psychotherapy didn't work on you, so it's rotten; "consumers" are their worst enemies because you are a green shopper; workers choose wage slavery because you don't; big government is bad because you don't like it, etc.) also strikes me as fundamentally conservative.

The world is more complicated than the sum of free individual choices. "Turn on, tune in, drop out" has always been bad and self-defeating advice. It's "get a job" in reverse.

Scratch a hippie, find a Republican. We need heretics, not renegades.