[lbo-talk] Obscure question on Indian movie stars gone flabby

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:28:05 PDT 2005

Chris Doss wrote:

>Ulhas, Ravi, etc.,
>
>I have a question for you guys -- there was/is a cult
>movie from India in the USSR/ex-USSR called Disco
>Dancer, starring Mitkhun Chakraborti and Khema Malini
>(I'm sure the spelling's wrong -- I'm
>backtransliterating from Cyrillic). Anyway there is an
>article in one of the main Moscow papers today
>informing its no-doubt-horrified readership that not
>only is their beloved Disco Dancer completely
>forgotten in India, but that Chakraborti has gotten
>enormously fat. Please tell me this isn't true. :)
>
>It also says that Malini is a member of the
>government.

This is unfortunately true. Mithun Chakravarti has decidedly joined the ranks of the have-beens. Physically, he has gone to seed as compared to his sprightly days as a 'Disco Dancer' - although "enormously fat" may be an exaggeration. Hema Malini is a member of the Rajya Sabha - the upper house of the Indian Parliament. To add to your woes, she represents the right-wing Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party.

Life is cruel.

Sujeet

-- "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".

-- Philip K. Dick * TagZilla 0.057 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org