[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 16 08:57:08 PDT 2005

John Adams wrote:

>I've tried a time or two to subtly taunt you into discussing the
>Gang of Four song from _Land of the Free_ which contains the
>"include myself out" line. I don't think they were just alluding to
>the Samuel Goldwyn quote. (I wasn't absolutely certain I remembered
>who said it, so I googled the phrase, and the second entry turned
>out to be very interesting:
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22include+me+out%22&btnG=Google+Search
>If you don't see a result related to recent discussions here, add
>the search term Y2K and see what bubbles up to the top.) I'll take
>one more shot at it--it seemed to me that parts of album were as
>much about inner-head withdrawal as their earlier career was not.
>You think?

Hmmm. Could you be more specific than that? "We live as we dream alone" seems to be about the struggle between alienation and the urge to connect, and peppered with "Heart of Darkness" quotes too. But what else did you have in mind?

Love the Y2K and peak oil thing. Google serendipity! One of the traditionalists' arguments against electronic texts used to be that you couldn't stumble on stuff in the library on the shelf next to what you were looking for. That was just proved wrong!

Doug