[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sat Apr 16 09:22:39 PDT 2005

I was thinking of "Of the Instant": http://lyrics.duble.com/lyrics/G/gang-of-four-lyrics/gang-of-four-of- the-instant-lyrics.htm (this looks like a good but incomplete site for some GoF lyrics.) Along with these inward-turned lyrics, you've also got a very spacy track--neither hard-edged nor rhythmically driving. An unusual song for them, to say the least.

> Love the Y2K and peak oil thing. Google serendipity! One of the
> traditionalists' arguments against electronic texts used to be that
> you couldn't stumble on stuff in the library on the shelf next to what
> you were looking for. That was just proved wrong!

Here's a paradox: The better you are at crafting efficient searches, the less serendipity you get. I don't think the argument carries on this ground--as you point out, we have a counter-example right here--but I would say that traditional research techniques are likelier to give unusually serendipitous results, given the wherewithal to carry them out.

Of course, that's a high barrier to entry--funding research is tough!--so perhaps the electronic search gives better serendipity for more people in most situations.

All the best,

John A