[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Apr 16 17:38:04 PDT 2005

joanna bujes wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >Since there is no organized boycott of Walmart, I would consider this
> >question improper, and if it were asked of me I would refuse to answer
> >it.
> >
> Whatever. My cryptic point was that the attitude that "all investment is
> equally complicitous" is somewhat glib.

I've been out of town since Thursday.

No! It is _not_ glib. What is glib is the pretense that the isolated actions of individuals in their daily life can make a difference to the whole or to others. It is _more_ than glib, it is vicious, to pretend that consumer decisions or the investments of workers can make any difference.

This irritates me so damn much that if I had a few thousand to invest I'd go out and buy stock in Walmart and Dow Chemical early Monday morning.

Carrol