[lbo-talk] A Changing Continent

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 11:35:42 PDT 2005

My post was primarily informational as opposed to promotional. I will say however that Africa, Asia and other 'peripheral' regions have been fully integrated, mostly to their disadvantage to the global economy for centuries (if the imperial/colonial project is seen as part of 'globalization'). One thing to keep in mind is that globalization, in the sense of the article, does not necessarily mean positive social progress in Africa/Asia/Latin America or the West, it mainly means that while there will be on the one hand movement towards economic growth, these regions will also experience the same kinds of financial crises seen the Western economies as well as white collar crime, Enronesque accounting scandals etc. For a better understanding of this I would recommend:

http://web.africa.ufl.edu/asq/v4/v4i1a4.htm

THE CRIMINALIZATION OF THE STATE IN AFRICA. Jean-François Bayart, Stephen Ellis, and Béatrice Hibou. Oxford, Bloomington & Indianapolis: James Currey & Indiana University Press, 1999. 126 pp. cloth $ 39.95. paper $ 18.95.

"The Criminalization of the State in Africa chronicles in fascinating detail the totality of state-supported criminal activities. The book analyzes the impact of criminal activities on African nations. It examines the future of public life in Africa, and reveals how African states have become vehicles for organized crimes. It addresses the manner in which African states, through criminal means, cover up the corrupt practices of those in power. The book exposes the linkages between government and institutionalized fraud: smuggling, the plundering of natural resources, the growth of private armies, the privatization of state institutions, and the development of "economies of plunder." The result is an incisive and authoritative exposure of Africa's entanglement in a web of internal and international crimes. More innovative than anything else is the analysis of the internationalization of crime in Africa from two fronts. First, the study deals with criminal activities initiated in Africa by corporate officials, employees of parastatal organizations, and government officials at both the national and continental levels. Secondly, the book examines Africa's role in the internationalization of certain criminal activities involving non-Africans, but supported by African entrepreneurs and policy-makers."