[lbo-talk] A Changing Continent

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Mon Apr 18 11:41:48 PDT 2005

On Apr 18, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Michael Dawson wrote:

> 2. Hey, Ulhas: Why do people go to medical school? That's right: To
> solve
> problems. That's why they mostly talk about diseases.

And there's the problem: Instead, they should go to medical school to promote health. Then disease wouldn't be their only topic of discussion, and illness wouldn't be the frame for their view of the world.

> Same thing with Marxists and pretty much all other scientists.

I think (and I may be wrong) the point of the original observation

>> But how many marxists notice anything except malnutrition
>> and disease in the developing world?

was that Marxists have a predetermined view of the world, which prevents them from seeing accurately. Makes sense to me--why should Marxism be different from any other ideology? What neither Ulhas nor Joseph said explicitly (and may not have intended to say--I can't know that) is that this point of view results from a eurocentric bias.

All the best,

John A