[lbo-talk] Stalin/Hitler the same?

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 18:53:34 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Mike Ballard To: lbo lbo Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 4:54 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Stalin/Hitler the same?

> Here's a comparison between Hitler and Stalin, condensed a bit from
> Isaac Deutscher's Political Biography of Stalin (published in the late
> 1940s). To state the obvious, this does not justify Stalin, it only
> contributes to the refutation of the claim that Stalin and Hitler were
> the same, a piece of the psy-war on the working class which has now
> become commonplace bar talk.
>
> Now to go and be burnt at the stake. ;P
>
> Mike B)

Normally, I don't discuss the USSR, because I've no first hand knowledge, just history... But as far as I can discern, Hitler was nuts... and Stalin wasn't. Maybe the best example is a conversation between him and one of his sons when Stalin found that the son had been using the familiy name to influence peddle.

Stalin is quoted as saying... "I'm not Stalin, and your not Stalin. That person you read about in the papers and hear about on the radio is "Stalin"." Understanding your true historical significance is not the trait of a madman, whereas Hitler was in denial to the bitter end.

Leigh