[lbo-talk] When the wolf cries wolf

John Bizwas bizwas at lycos.com
Mon Apr 18 22:19:12 PDT 2005

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050418/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

excerpt starts here
>>Iraqi Security Forces Search Farming Town

1 hour, 4 minutes ago Middle East - AP

By HADI MIZBAN, Associated Press Writer

MADAIN, Iraq - Iraqi security forces searched this small farming town on Monday after reports that Sunni militants had kidnapped as many as 100 Shiite residents and were threatening to kill them unless the entire Shiite population left town ? a display of sectarian violence brazen even by Iraqi standards.

But by late in the day, officials had produced no hostages and there were growing indications the incident had been grossly exaggerated and was perhaps an outgrowth of a tribal dispute or political maneuvering.>>end of article excerpt 1

But scrolling down into the article we come upon buried content:

>>Elsewhere in Iraq, at least 33 people died over the weekend in insurgent violence, including four U.S. soldiers and a 28-year-old American aid worker identified as Marla Ruzicka, of Lakeport, Calif., the founder of a group that was trying to determine the number of civilian casualties in the country.>>end of excerpt

Apparently guerillas mortared a Marine compound killing three and a US soldier got blown up elsewhere. I'm not sure exactly what Marla Ruzicka was doing in Iraq but perhaps, given the stated goal (confirming how many civilians have been killed and are being killed, and helping them to make claims against the US government), that was not really the best way to go about it, since her activities, funded by USAID, might appear to be spying on the rebellion. When a senator gets an unknown 'activist' tens of millions of dollars of government money to do something that shouldn't have to be done by free agent aid workers (who appear no different than the other camp followers of the occupation) in the first place, it does make you wonder. Activities such as hers grab headlines (even in death), but they could actually serve the establishment in its attempts to make 'legitimate' the US's illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq.

And so the reason the wolf cries wolf? The insurgency has resurged and al-Sadr, the head of the Shia part of it, has re-surfaced (and he isn't fighting Sunni), so the US Occupation and puppet government have to try and start a civil war anyway it can. Works more for consumption on the 'homefront' obviously. This has to be the most bogus story put out by CentCom yet since the rescue of Jessica Lynch.

Now just consider how the 'domestic agenda' is used by the media and the Demoncrats as well as the Repugnicans to disguise the fact that the public disapproval rating of the Bush administration on the issue of Iraq is about as large as his domestic disapproval rating. So of course for the homefront we need these stories to make it apparent 'why we fight' and will stay on Iraq.

-- _______________________________________________ NEW! Lycos Dating Search. The only place to search multiple dating sites at once. http://datingsearch.lycos.com