[lbo-talk] Ann Arbor & Robert Hall

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 19 13:43:04 PDT 2005

At least into the '60s Ann Arbor was (so to speak) a paradise of local merchants. When Robert Hall tried to open a shop there, the local merchants arranged that no trucking company would carry goods from the Detroit Rail Freight yards to Ann Arbor for Robert Hall. The local merchants also had a private club (one of those with a stream running under a glass floor in the dining room) one of whose rules was no one connected to the university could be a member. I presume by now the local merchants' grip on the town has been broken, but in the 1950s it made Ann Arbor, _except_ for the university, a pretty grim place. It didn't seem to have change an enormous amount (except for a build-up on Stadium Boulevard) when I was there for a conference in 1970, but that was only a few days and I could have missed a lot. The biggest change I remember from that year was that they had replaced crockery with plastic cups in the Mens' Union cafeteria.

Carrol