[lbo-talk] soft bigotry...

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 19 14:11:52 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood:

> Not all, but some. They're not all victims. Collective guilt is
> bullshit, but so is collective innocence. I don't know where
> to draw the line, like I said, but it's dishonest and evasive
> to pretend it doesn't need to be drawn at all.

This does nothing to challenge Kelly's unassailable point that this whole discussion serves no practical political purpose. Idle chatter on lbo-talk can be fun, don't get me wrong, but I don't blame anyone for finding this whole discussion unseemly. The article in question was a pointless exercise in narcissism.

> Remember the outrage when Ronnie said, apropos his trip to
> Bitburg, that some of the SS soldiers were victims too?

This is a silly point. If he had said that about the Wehrmacht, it would have been understandable, but the SS was something different entirely -- and something different from anything the US military has (so far!), even the Special Forces. Have some perspective. As usual, the rule against bringing Nazis into a discussion applies here.