[lbo-talk] Re: robert hall stores

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Tue Apr 19 18:59:06 PDT 2005

>"I was too
>young to comprehend the subtleties of the retail hierarchy, but I
>think the stuff was pretty cheap."

i'm old enough to remember that the stuff was pretty crappy, too...

they advertised as a bargain store, using only "plain pipe racks" and no fancy decor...they may have been the first, or among the earliest, factory warehouse type consumer feedlots, since i seem to recall very big spaces with lots of stock (on plain pipe racks!) and all of it striking me as teenage crapola...

you can get a much higher quality of crap in the monster type shopping orgy headquarters now, but who knows...my teen memories may be false, and they may have offered better bargains for "hip" shoppers...still, they were a joke among my crew of teen punks...

fs