[lbo-talk] soft bigotry...

Celi Ben cpthron at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:57:02 PDT 2005

yeah, this morning I noticed in this article that they are actually excluding the students who aren't passing these new high school exit exams under No Child Left Behind from the military. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/220713_wasl19.html http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php?page=opinion&story_id=041205b5_teenkim Something like 20% across whole states (with the exams varying quite a bit by state), and higher percentages in certain areas aren't expected to pass, and this doesn't even include the fraction dropping out. Ha! That amounts to better organizing than the current antirecruitment movement. I saw David Solnit of antiWTO and Direct Action to Stop the War in Berkeley and that is his primary area, and on Thursday, the UC Berkeley people have a big action at the career fair against the marines.. but how many could they hope to turn away, and high school should be the focus anyway. College grads aren't so easily sucked in. I can't work with some of the UC Berkeley leftist leadership - http://www.campus-watch.org/docs/author/Snehal+Shingavi they always seem to choose a wrong target and go about it the wrong way. On March 20, 2003, they held a sit-in demanding they name Baghdad U a sister school while all sorts of interesting things were happening off campus. meanwhile, UC Santa Cruz seems unusually radical - and it's hard to even figure out what their message even is, but there sure look like a lot of students are throwing off classes to do this and get arrested for it. Berkeley and San Francisco State/ Stanford students are a tad wiser, but not nearly as many show up, much less most commuter schools across the country: http://santacruz.indymedia.org/newswire/display/17428/index.php http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2005/April/19/local/stories/01local.htm My cousin isn't 19 yet and he became a marine and just got back from Iraq where he was on the top of a vehicle with a machine gun outside falluja; I last saw him 5 yrs ago when he was much younger looking. Next he's going in the program to advise/train foreign military - which is weird because I clearly remember bosses when I was 20 barely trusting the staff of that age to operate the copy machine or run the computer database without intense monitoring. My housemate DChang here who just moved out was in rotc and had his big scheduling letter come regarding leaving this summer, but I never actually spoke to him about that at all. He just smoked, went to school, played Dance Dance Revolution, and was a person of few words.

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/