[lbo-talk] My Last Contact With Red Squares

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 19 21:27:01 PDT 2005

> John Adams wrote:
>
> >"What is a 'Robert Hall sweater', anyway?"
>
> Robert Hall was a clothing chain during the Golden Age. I was too
> young to comprehend the subtleties of the retail hierarchy, but I
> think the stuff was pretty cheap.
>
> Doug

I am too young to be really knowledgeable on this but I was under the impression that Robert Hall was like Sears used to be. Not cheap but middle of the road pricing that appealed to middle class consumers. Like Nordstroms or Dillards. When I was a kid one of my grandmothers used to lament how kids clothing was of noticeably inferior quality then (the early 60's) and that the stuff she used to buy at Robert Hall was much better quality. She wasn't one to buy at places known primarily for low prices but she did stretch a dollar as far as she could within the perceived confines of her social strata.

John Thornton