[lbo-talk] Fwd: Jeremy Rifkin: The European Dream

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Apr 22 06:32:25 PDT 2005

Tully:
> I think the one leads to the other, that the every-man-for-himself
> attitude in the US leads to crime (a risk) at all class levels in our
> society and thus the need to protect ourselves from becoming its
> victim. Is there anywhere in Europe where violent or white collar
> crime is as high as it is here? Do the sidewalks in many European
> cities roll up at sunset? Do European news broadcasts devote a
> quarter of their time discussing the most sensational local crimes or
> other fear-mongering tactics? I doubt it.

I agree, it is in the dysfunctional nature of the US society and institutions, not in the genes :). The point I was making was simply that Rifkin was wrong factually, and - as your argument above shows - the statement in question is inconsistent with the other assertion he makes in the article - individualism.

Wojtek