[lbo-talk] Heidegger and Ratzinger....oh freude, freude

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Apr 23 05:56:00 PDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 04:47:06 -0700 (PDT) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> "He took up studies to be a Jesuit by entering the
> Society of Jesus at
> Tisis, in Austria, though likely for health reasons,
> he was rejected as
> a candidate. Heidegger then decided to study for his
> priesthood at the
> Albert-Ludwig University in Freiberg, where he began
> lecturing and
> publishing papers. Here he first encounter the
> writings of Husserl, and
> was also directed by his superiors to change his
> studies from theology
> to mathematics and philosophy."
>
> http://www.egs.edu/resources/heidegger.html
> ---
>
> That means that he was writing and lecturing, not
> doing theology.
>
> Heidegger did not accept Catholic theology.

But when he initiated his career as a philosopher, he did write as a Catholic philosopher, and was indeed hired as such when he was appointed as a Privatdozent at Freiburg. As such, he taught courses on Aristotle and the scholastics. At this time, his ambition was to gain promotion to the chair of Catholic philosophy at Freiburg. He didn't make his break with Catholicism until he began his association with Edmund Husserl.