[lbo-talk] Heidegger and Ratzinger....oh freude, freude

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 23 06:31:04 PDT 2005

>From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>
>
>Heidegger did not accept Catholic theology. In fact,
>he was not a theist. Determination of "Being" as "God"
>was idolatry for Heidegger, part of the degeneration
>of thinking since its high point with the
>Pre-Socratics ....

Very interesting. I've long thought that religions' greatest vulnerability is their susceptibility to the charge of idolatry. Each religion seems to make the contradictory claims that: (a) God is unknowable, and (b) that this particular religion knows God's nature and will very well. That means the followers of that religion do not worship God in all His/Her/Its infinitude; they worship the finite understanding of God that the religion offers. In short, the faithful are not worshiping God at all; they are worshiping their religion; they are practicing idolatry.

Carl