[lbo-talk] Yahoo! News Story - 'Dormouse' Retells Silicon ValleyHistory

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 08:04:36 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Thomas Seay To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 5:09 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Yahoo! News Story - 'Dormouse' Retells Silicon ValleyHistory

> Thomas Seay (entheogens at yahoo.com) has sent you a news article.
> Personal message:
>

> 'Dormouse' Retells Silicon Valley History
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/zd/20050420/tc_zd/150388

> Yahoo! News http://dailynews.yahoo.com/

It would be nostalgic if true.

Sorry Thomas... I think the author is hallucinating a different Silicon Valley than I lived around for the last 30 years. I wouldn't even know where to start except to say that his assertion that the "geeks" generally had normal social skills, and were antiwar politically active are both revisionist fabrications.

And lets not EVEN get into the sociology and ecology of having a cowtown like San Jose and evirons become a major international city within a 50 year time frame. Anyone my age who grew up there watched their community crumble as the city grew with total sprawling abandon, to provide for an industry that only supported the native citizens begrudgingly, and secondarily.

Since it was pointed out that he lived in the valley for most of his life, I'd like to point out that most of the people that built the computer industry here weren't from the valley.... and most weren't even from California. They were almost exclusively male, and almost without exception... from ....1976 --> it was about the money, not the machines, and the end result was the dotcom bubble, which was really a "salescom" bubble.

L http://www.leighm.net ========