[lbo-talk] Yahoo! News Story - 'Dormouse' Retells Silicon ValleyHistory

Adam Souzis adamsz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 15:02:42 PDT 2005

Back in 1985 Theodore Roszak published a little pamphlet called "From Satori to Silicon Valley" about how the bay area hippie ethos evolved into a technophilic utopianism that spawned silicon valley... and a google search reveals it's now online at:

http://library.stanford.edu/mac/primary/docs/satori/

its quite insightful if i remember correctly and probably reinforces much of markoff's history.

i'm sure his book is some sort of morality tale, that's how you sell books in this country, so i can understand why you want to react against it, but i thinking you'd be missing something to just dismiss it. The potential for social change is bound up with a culture's fantasies of liberation, that's one reason to pay attention.

-- adam