[lbo-talk] Yahoo! News Story - 'Dormouse' Retells SiliconValleyHistory

Adam Souzis adamsz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 02:05:35 PDT 2005

On 4/23/05, Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

I'm not following your point -- who's making the claim that what happened in silicon valley was beneficial to the average resident there?

there's two stories here: 1. the rapid growth of an industry leads to unchecked suburban sprawl and gentrification. 2. a counter-cultural movement apparently in direct opposition to capital not only gets co-opted but actually spawns capital's most important end-of-the-century innovation (i.e. the pc and the internet and associated realignments of the creation and flow of capital).

I don't see how these two stories contradict each other.

-- adam