[lbo-talk] Bush: 'the more corn there is, the more energythere is'

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 24 13:05:42 PDT 2005

Corn for thought: Ethanol from corn faulted as energy waster ITHACA, N.Y. -- Neither increases in government subsidies to corn-based ethanol fuel nor hikes in the price of petroleum can overcome what one Cornell University agricultural scientist calls a fundamental input-yield problem: It takes more energy to make ethanol from grain than the combustion of ethanol produces. At a time when ethanol-gasoline mixtures (gasohol) are touted as the American answer to fossil fuel shortages by corn producers, food processors and some lawmakers, Cornell's David Pimentel takes a longer range view.

"Abusing our precious croplands to grow corn for an energy-inefficient process that yields low-grade automobile fuel amounts to unsustainable, subsidized food burning," says the Cornell professor in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Pimentel, who chaired a U.S. Department of Energy panel that investigated the energetics, economics and environmental aspects of ethanol production several years ago, subsequently conducted a detailed analysis of the corn-to-car fuel process. His findings will be published in September, 2001 in the forthcoming Encyclopedia of Physical Sciences and Technology . http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2001-08/cuns-efc080701.php

see also: DOE/Argonne National Laboratory

Ethanol Causes Pollution, Too, Argonne Scientists Say http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/1997-11/ANL-ECPT-031197.php

===