[lbo-talk] drugs & deaths

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 05:26:36 PDT 2005

Lots of back 'n' forth on this one; what I don't understand, though, is the implicit assumption (Michael D appears to be making this a lot, but he's not the only one) that if opiates and other drugs are "only" dangerous to health because of the prevailing social and economic conditions then they are in some way not "really" dangerous; that only things which are actually poisonous are properly dangerous.

The social conditions we have are the social conditions we have, and they don't really look like changing particularly fast. If something's dangerous to Americans in the current American economy, then it's very dangerous to half a billion people and that ought to be enough to be going on with.

I suspect that it is probably "stoner propaganda" to assume that the mere legalisation of currently illegal drugs would bring about enough of a social and economic change to make dangerous drugs undangerous (and suspect that the example of alcohol confirms this), but if something's dangerous in the here and now, it's dangerous. An unshielded nuclear reactor is only dangerous to someone without the resources to buy lead underpants.

best dd