[lbo-talk] drugs & deaths

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Apr 25 07:43:51 PDT 2005

Daniel Davis:
> Lots of back 'n' forth on this one; what I don't understand, though, is
the
> implicit assumption (Michael D appears to be making this a lot, but he's
not
> the only one) that if opiates and other drugs are "only" dangerous to
health
> because of the prevailing social and economic conditions then they are in
some
> way not "really" dangerous; that only things which are actually poisonous
are
> properly dangerous.

I think you misattribute this position to Michael - he argues the opposite, if I understand him correctly.

A larger point that most people seem to miss is that actual danger itself does not mean much - it is the perception of danger that matters. Far more people die form car accidents than from plane crashes - yet more people are afraid of flying than of driving. Likewise with "lega'" and "illegal" drugs.

The crux of the debate is not the danger itself but the perception of danger and the cultural context in which it this danger occurs. People are not afraid of driving even though they chances of dying in a car crash are considerably higher than dying in any other mode of transportation - because cars are a key part of the mainstream culture, and thus their benefits are cognitively augmented, while their costs are cognitively diminished. Ditto for "legal" drugs such as alcohol, caffeine, or cigarettes. By contrast, public transit and "illegal" drugs are seen as part of "alien culture" and their benefits are cognitively made look smaller while their cost and dangers are perceived to be larger.

It comes as no surprise that those who see themselves as dissidents or "counter-culture" would the opposite stance, and cognitively reduce the dangers of "countercultural" icons (illegal drugs, life styles, public transit, etc.) while cognitively exaggerating the dangers of "mainstream" icons (legal drugs, cars, etc.).

The same can be said about guns - the debate is not about the objects themselves abut about icons they represent. From a rational point of view, guns are potentially dangerous, but when used with proper care they are less dangerous than many everyday objects used with little car (say, cars). But the crux of the debate between pro-and anti-gun crowds is not the danger itself, but guns as cultural icons. Those who defend or attack them do not defend or attack mechanical devices, but ways of life that these devices came to symbolize.

So do not expect any rationality in cultural wars - people do not give a shit about pawns and proxies when they "cultural values" are under attack.

Wojtek